Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Let's Eat.


Our little man's growin' up so fast. Over the weekend we gave Hugo his first taste of anything other than Mama's milk, officially starting him on "solid" foods. While bland, tasteless and quite soupy, the rice cereal was a huge hit. He was so enthusiastic about each and every bite, opening his gummy little mouth as wide as he could get it and reaching to hold and use the spoon himself. The plan is to slowly (and somewhat systematically) introduce him to as many different healthy foods as possible over the next few months, in hopes that Hugo will experience many flavors and like them all. If he takes after his parents, he probably won't be a terribly picky eater.

(I suppose it's time to get him a proper high chair now too since the safety police don't really consider the Bumbo seat on our dining table a suitably safe place to set a nearly 6 month old baby.)

We're looking forward to washing all sorts of exciting things out of the little guy's hair.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

A) the Bumbo is great for a traveling high chair, they make a Bumbo tray if you don't already have it :)
B) If you feed him shirtless there's less laundry :)
C) If he gets constipated switch to oatmeal cereal (we skipped rice with C and went straight to oatmeal. Plus, it's supposed to have more flavor)
D) H is freakin' cute! (stating the obvious here)
E) How did our babies get to be almost 6 months old?!
F) Bananas and pears are great for mixing into veggies that H doesn't end up liking (especially peas. Both of my kids have gagged on every bite of peas they were given as infants - texture maybe? Haven't tried making my own baby peas so might do that.
G) Gee, I think that's enough tips for now ;)

kristofer and ivy said...

re: C) We skipped rice cereal with Eli and went straight to oatmeal as well. The Dr Sears website has some good info on first foods - I think he recommends banana and avocado as good starters.
re: D) Agreed!! A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E
re: F) Applesauce too! You don't have to buy baby applesauce - just find something without added sugar (the organic lunch-size cups are handy). The only peas my two gagged on were... the ones I made!

.ivy

Kimberly said...

Thanks for the tips, ladies! We had some avocado yesterday and Hugo LOVED it. (And I used the leftover mashed avo on my turkey sandwich, yum.)

Going to do rice cereal and avocado for a couple of days and then move to bananas next, just want to watch for any sensitivity around new foods. Once we run out of the rice, maybe I'll switch over to oatmeal if it has more flavor, sounds better to me.

I'm also going to try to make most of my own baby foods, at least to start. We have such great local and organic fruits & veggies at the farmers market here that I feel like it's criminal not to take advantage of that! Plus I love cooking, so it's not a big deal to make some stuff for H when I'm whipping up dinner for us. Should be fun!

Re: CUTENESS, Thanks! I think he's cute too, but I'm his mama, so of course I think he's the most adorable baby around. :)

Next up....have any tips for getting this guy to NAP?!